Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Handiwork


I sit in bed doing some hand sewing by lamplight. I don't often sew by hand, but an uncooperative machine made me want to utter unladylike words, so I've resorted to needle and thread.

I never noticed how soothing the swish of thread through fabric can be. I'd forgotten the hurry-up-slow-down look of a handmade seam - long, impatient stitches followed by nice even ones, as though my mother were watching and reminding me that it's best to do it right the first time. I recall Beezus Quimby reciting her aunt's mantra: "Make your knots a secret!"

My fingers shape something out of nothing and I become one with the women of the past, whose homes and families were as well-dressed as their own diligence and creativity allowed. I am Caroline Ingalls beside a kerosene lamp, humming hymns and mending my green delane. I am her daughter Laura, stitching for pay to buy a piano for my sister. I am Diana Barry, feverishly crocheting doilies so as not to be outdone by the Gillises. I am Hester Prynne, turning shame into an opportunity for beauty.

2 comments:

  1. If you WERE using a machine you could be the women of the Mexican village in the Three Amigos, quickly crafting disguises before El Guapo arrives.

    But seriously: lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be fun. You and Duder can play the Three Amigos. Jon will be Martin Short, leaning over my shoulder: "Sew, very old one. Sew like the wind!"

    ReplyDelete