Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Today's Accomplishments


  • Drove around Merida in a persnickety van and got thoroughly lost - several times - but found my way without phoning a friend.
  • After six days without any caffeine, downed a French press in the morning, a frappe-plus-two-shots-topped-with-whipped-cream-and-cajeta (my guilty pleasure, ordered in flawless Spanish and prepared by a barista who greeted me by name) in the afternoon. (CouldthisbewhyI'mstillawakeandblogging?)
  • Spoke lots of Spanish.
  • Drove someone to the emergency room while being given directions in Spanish. (He's fine.)
  • Made tea out of fresh chamomile - so fragrant - necessary, after all that caffeine.
  • Shared the tea.
  • Prayed specific prayers for people - I'm sheepish about how uncommon that is.
  • Conveniently forgot to make that phone call I keep putting off.
  • Said good-bye to a dear old friend that I see every couple of years or so.
  • Had amazing conversations with girls I love - most of them over coffee.
  • Saw a baby gecko.
  • Delighted in my calling.
  • Investigated this story about my beloved Turkey - note the difference in how it's spun. (This piece may tell it like it is, but what a cheesy/peynirli/con queso title for a column!)
  • Divulged.
  • Named said persnickety van "Guacki Junior" (after Guacki, a very large avocado that became our team's mascot but slyly snuck off to Chetumal in someone's backpack this morning).
  • Gave hammock advice.
  • Gave lentil soup advice.
  • Gave relationship advice.
  • Gave personal hygiene advice.
  • Gave migraine advice.
  • Gave pursuing-the-Lord advice.
  • Acquired 20+ new mosquito bites, but scratched a tad bit less.
  • Heard God speak - never gets old.
  • Sang an old song that I haven't sung in years.
  • Made a list of the day's accomplishments and posted it online.

3 comments:

  1. How egocentric of me! And yes, I do love most of those girls over coffee. In fact, I love all of them more than I love coffee. That modifier was NOT misplaced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theme from "Love Story." So not that old. I probably sang a few hymns that predated it by a few centuries, but that's not uncommon.

    ReplyDelete