Saturday, May 9, 2009

Bittersweet Mayan Chocolate Cake


I bragged the other night that I was going to make "the cake to end all cakes." That may be a stretch, but it was pretty dang good. So, without further ado:

Bittersweet Mayan Chocolate Cake

First, I made a Flourless Chocolate Cake adapted from this epicurious recipe:

  • 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate
  • 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
  • 1 1/2 sticks butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 5 eggs
  • 3/4 cup cocoa
  • vanilla
Chocolate and butter were melted in a jimmy-rigged double boiler (during which I added a splash of vanilla). I removed the top pot from the heat and whisked in the sugar, then the eggs. The cocoa was "sifted" (I also don't have a sifter, so I filled my tea strainer with cocoa and sprinkled it by gently tapping the side) over the surface, then whisked in until just combined. Baked in a 9-inch cake pan (buttered, then wax-papered, then buttered again) at 375° for 25 minutes (until a crust formed).

This dense chocolatey goodness was inverted onto a plate and topped with...

Spiced Ganache:

  • 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate
  • 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 'nother splash of vanilla
  • sugar
  • cayenne pepper
  • cinnamon
I melted the chocolate and butter, vanilla and cream all together, added a sprinkling of sugar because it was supposed to be bittersweet but was leaning a little too heavily toward the front end of that adjective, and stirred in cayenne pepper and cinnamon "to taste". (I guess I ought to measure if I'm going to post recipes, huh?)

The ganache was spread over the cake, then sprinkled with some cocoa powder.

I served this with a mango raspberry sauce - just fruit, really. (I diced the mango and mushed a small portion of both fruits, then mixed 'em back up. This made it saucy, messy, and sweet, much like myself.) On top was fresh whipped cream.

We squeezed thirteen pieces out of this cake, so as not to leave anyone out, which is unluckier than any old number. It got some rave reviews, some hesitant ones, which is to be expected - spicy chocolate is not for everyone. My own review? I'm too modest to tell you.

1 comment:

  1. I count myself fortunate to be able to testify to the deliciousness of this one as well- quite, quite YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete