Sunday, May 31, 2009

Just Call Me Susy Homemaker


I'm typing with that homey sound of the washer and dryer as background music. It's a satisfying feeling, because I was so behind in laundry that I had run out of just about everything. But it's satisfying for another reason: I just made my own laundry detergent. It took five minutes, seriously, and it's better for me, better for creation, and better for my wallet. (We'll find out if it's better for my clothes - I'm guessing it will be.)

I also mixed up a batch of my cereal. That's nothing new, as I've been eating the same breakfast nearly every day for months. It's a blend of whole oats, unsweetened coconut, chopped walnuts, ground flax seed, and (the one concession to my new attempt to avoid processed food) Grape Nuts. I eat it raw with cinnamon and milk every morning, but it's good cooked, too. I crave the stuff.

Earlier this week I invented a new salad (fresh greens with plenty of spinach, yummy local strawberries, local-to-Alabama-where-I-bought-them cucumbers, fresh mint, ginger-candied almonds, and little chunks of extra-dark chocolate) and a new smoothie (made with all that leftover cucumber, mint and spinach, plus flax seed, milk and agave nectar). They were delish, mostly nutrish - and I thought them up in my very own noggin.

I am very proud of me.

3 comments:

  1. You should be proud! You make me want to live close to you so I can try all these goods! The salad sounds especially intriguing ... strawberries and dark chocolate, mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can testify to the deliciousness of the spinach-almond-mint-strawberry-chocolate-cucumber salad (it does need a name, though). I had more than my fair share and even took the left overs home- YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sarah!

    And sarah, I wish you did live close to me, or I lived close to you! However, I was planning to add avocado to the smoothie next time, so you would probably want to opt out of that one.

    ReplyDelete