Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Doing It Myself


I've been following a lot of Do-It-Yourself blogs lately, largely due to a recent quest to eat right, to avoid buying what I could make myself, and to use natural alternatives to standard chemical-ridden products. It's about stewardship -- of my money, my health, and God's creation. It also gives me wicked bragging rights.

These DIY women, though -- and they're all women, it seems -- punch holes in my smugness balloon. I can feel pretty good about tweaking recipes to make them good for you until I read posts about grinding your own flour and soaking your grains for 24 hours. (Like I know I'm going to bake something a day in advance!) DIY Women always have obscure herbs and various essential oils on hand, and loads of time to drive to farms to buy raw milk and then make it into butter and yogurt.

Reading DIY blogs has brought up a few questions I'd like to ask the DIY Women:
  1. Is there anything that baking soda cannot do?
  2. It seems that you all love the scent of lavendar. Why on earth?
  3. Do you actually exist in human form or are you some kind of bread-dough-kneading, homeschooling, food-preserving superbeings with internal natural remedy encyclopedias?
I'm brought back from DIY despair by the reminder that I work a full-time job outside of my home, besides living in a community that I invest a lot of energy into. I don't have to be a DIY Woman. I don't have to drink the koolaid kefir flavored with natural juices from fruit trees cultivated in my backyard. I can do things my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment