Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Last Night's Dinner


Would you believe I had completely forgotten that I know how to make chapati?

Seven years ago, a one-legged Fijian man with tatoos, an eye patch, and a gap-toothed grin taught me how to make Indian flatbread in a community kitchen in rural Kenya. (He later gave me a pink and purple bracelet and many a mournful gaze, so my rolling pin skills must have made an impression.) Chapati is simple and delicious but I haven't thought to make it in years.

Last night I had Kristen over so we could connect over bowls of leftover lentil barley soup. Whole-grain chapati was just the thing - the wheat and flax making it good and nutty, the oat flour keeping it soft, the coconut oil and honey complementing the spice-and-vinegar of the lentils. I'm glad I remembered that I have that skill. Pretty sure I still have the bracelet, too.

2 comments:

  1. mmmm...your version of chapati sounds delicious! I just learned how to make them this year from a Tanzanian friend. We make chapati and beans every so often just for James and I 'cuz we love them so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twas a delicious meal and delighful company :)

    ReplyDelete