Saturday, October 17, 2009

Today's run...


...was long overdue.

It was overdue because it had been sixteen days since I'd gone running (last Thursday's attempt being too piddling to mention).

It was also overdue because I finally overcame the Exercise Equipment Phobia that has prevented cold-weather consistency throughout my running career.

That's right: I conquered the running-to-nowhere machine.

I logged only two miles but increased my pace by more than two minutes. And now I'll join the throngs of latecomers who won't stop raving about the bandwagon to those who jumped on it long before. Beyond the practicalities of ensuring a steady pace and keeping track of the time, there are mirrors! accessible bathrooms! security! day-and-night, rain-or-shine availability! the privacy (having my apartment's little weight room to myself) to play music out loud, even sing along! My life will never be the same.

Tune in next week for my enthusiasm over other bright ideas like Facebook (I never dreamed I'd reconnect with so many old friends -- and even see pictures of their babies!), GPS (no more phoning friends for directions for me!), and Google (why, you can find out anything you wish to know! Just type in your query and poke the "Search" button and up pops the Internet!)

1 comment:

  1. Your last paragraph was pretty hilarious. :)

    sad to say, i'm one of those people who enjoy the treadmill too, though somehow even the NAME makes me think of factory farms and cows, all running in unison.
    anyway. all of those perks you mentioned are definite perks. i especially like the toilet one, and the temperature control one.

    ReplyDelete